By Ian Follett, Facility Management Services Ltd
Museum Benchmarks 2003, Survey of Facility Management Practices
This was the third annual benchmarking survey. It focused, for the first time,
on a comprehensive listing of good and best practices used in the facility
management of museums and art institutions. Key performance measurements were
also repeated, allowing for a three year history of trends. Also for the first
time, a Customized Survey Report was prepared for participating institutions.
This customized survey report compared side by side on the same page, the
performance measurements of the participating institution to industry average
performance measurements, and showed additional analysis by type of museum.
Eighty museums and art institutions have participated in the Museum Benchmarks Surveys of
2001, 2002 and 2003.
Some Highlights of Museum Benchmarks 2003, Survey Report
- Area Cleaned Per Custodial Worker
- Cost of Custodial Services Totally or Mostly Outsourced
- $1.28 per sq.ft.
- $13.78 per sq.m.
- Cost of Custodial Services Totally or Mostly In-House
- $2.22 per sq.ft.
- $23.90 per sq.m.
- Area Per Building Maintenance Worker
- Cost of Building Maintenance
- $4.27 per sq.ft.
- $45.98 per sq.m.
- Area Per Security Worker By Facility Type
- Fine Art:
|| 6,000 sq.ft.
|| 14,000 sq.ft.
|| 42,600 sq.ft.
Services Provided by Contractor (totally or in combination with employees)
- custodial services
- equip. maint. (elevators, etc.)
- grounds maintenance
- exterior building maint.
Purchase of Museum Benchmarks 2003 Survey Report
The Report can be purchased for $1000 US. Please contact Ian Follett, Facility Management Services Ltd,
at email@example.com ,
1-403-259-5964 or fax at 1-403-255-7116.
The Report, the result of a 30 page questionnaire, includes a 4 page executive Summary of Results, a 5
page listing of facility management related operational definitions and 22 pages of Data Analysis. Data was
gathered and analyzed on the following topics: description of facilities, space utilization, temperature and
relative humidity, custodial services, utilities, building maintenance, exterior grounds maintenance, building
security, cost of building operations, outsourcing, good/best practices (a 7 page listing) and important
issues facing facility managers.
The best practices of participating institutions, as listed and briefly described by each institution, are also
included in the Survey Report.
Benchmarking and Best Practices Workshop
This one day Workshop, always part of the benchmarking exercise, was held in San Francisco
immediately prior to the IAMFA Conference. The following institutions were represented at this
|Art Institute of Chicago
Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tamaki
Canadian Museum of Civilization
Canadian Museum of Nature
Harvard University Art Museums
Library and Archives Canada
National Gallery (London)
National Gallery of Art (Washington)
|National Gallery of Canada
Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum
Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
The Arts Center (Spartanburg)
The British Library
The Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
The Getty Center
- Presentation and discussion of Museum Benchmarks 2003 results and trends
Identification of Good and Best Practices
- Participating institutions were asked in the survey questionnaire if each practice (of 13 pages of listed
practices) was a good/best practice - that should be utilized by all facility managers - or not.
Best Practice Presentations
- Facilities Methods Improvement Control System
Joe May, The Getty Center
- Service Call Centre
Lucie Lanctôt, Canadian Museum of Nature
- Computerized Maintenance Planning and Work Management
Joe May, The Getty Center
- Funding Models for Life Cycle Replacement of Aging Building Components
Guy Larocque, Canadian Museum of Civilization
4 separate groups discussed the following topics:
- How Motivate and Reward Employees and Contractors
- How Practice Environmental/Green Building Management
- How Be Proactive Vs Reactive
- How Improve the Museum Benchmarks Report?
- All best practice presenters
- Joe Brennan, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, for great hospitality and arrangements for the
workshop room, equipment and catered luncheon
- All those who helped in the development of the survey questionnaire
- Bill Caddick and IAMFA members for their endorsement and support of this annual benchmarking survey
Updated: May 11, 2004